Welcome to the Cheesiest Blog on the Web

Any comments or questions regarding the content on this blog can be addressed to timothyjsharpe@yahoo.com

Sunday, November 14, 2010

My Favorite Video Games of All Time

I'm a gamer, yes, but there is a common misconception about me that I am a video gamer. This is not so much the case - while I consider myself a gamer, I was never impressed much with many video games of our time. I prefer table-top gaming... I believe video games lack the social interaction I'm looking for when I play a game. Even multiplayer games seem impersonal - even with tabletop games being "slower", there is something special about sitting across the table from your opponent (or comrades), and enjoying a game together.

Having said this, I still enjoy many video games. This is my Top-5 list, my favorite video games of all time.

1. Chrono Trigger. Those who know me pretty well knew this would be #1 - while some disagree with my assessment, Chrono Trigger is a beautiful game. I often enjoy RPGs since I like the story-telling of well-done RPGs and I consider myself a strategist. Chrono Trigger's battle system is entertaining and deep. The story is beautiful even if cliche. And although Chrono Trigger is one of the easier RPGs in the world, it's still a blast to play over and over again.

2. Doom II. When I was a child, I loved watching my father play Doom II (despite my mother's objections). Of course, at that time, the graphics were considered state-of-the-art and it was one of the more controversial games on the market. As I got older, I began to play the game myself, and I found that I would come back to it again and again. I simply find it very relaxing. Of course, now-a-days, I like playing it online via ZDaemon, which is an online-compatible version of Doom with advanced graphics. Despite it being outdated, Doom remains one of the most fast-paced and intense FPSs I've ever played.

3. Sonic the Hedgehog 2. If you ask my mother or Aunt, you will learn that this game and I were inseparable when I went to visit my Aunt and cousins in Maryland. I was obsessed - my eyes glued to the T.V. connected to my older cousin's Sega Genesis. Sonic the Hedgehog is my favorite console platform game - despite me not being a huge fan of the genre. I actually like all of the old Genesis Sonic games, why the 2nd is my favorite is anyone's guess, but I suppose it was the one I played most often. My cousin did not own Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles, and I guess I liked Sonic 2 slightly better than the original. Still, the old Sonic games are all ridiculously fun and addicting and I play them on my PC to this day.

4. Final Fantasy Tactics. I actually was never impressed with the series of Final Fantasy, at least not to the extent of other "video gamers", but this game was a major exception. Possibly because it migrated from the norms of Final Fantasy. My mother got this game for me on Valentine's Day, when I was in middle school. It was a rather random gift - since I don't recall her ever giving us anything for Valentine's Day previously, or since then, but I'm glad she did or I may have never discovered this gem of a game. The best part of this game is likely its battle system. You can ask one of my exs, who I got hooked on this game, of that. Building your teams and playing out the battles is great, endless fun. The story is also very deep, told in an almost Shakespearean style. While you may not get all of it right away (the story is a bit complex), after your inevitable multiple playthroughs you'll find yourself falling in love with the story.

5. Pokemon Gold / Silver. Being a member of the "Pokemon Generation", it is no surprise that I was a PokeKid growing up. One of my favorite aspects about these games, as I alluded to in my opening paragraph, is the social aspect. Because it was for the portable Gameboy, one could easily play with and compete with friends in this game. It was a team-effort completing ones Pokedex, and going head-to-head with friends for glory and bragging rights was awesome to me. While I also enjoyed Red/Blue/Yellow, the Gold/Silver/Crystal generation was probably my favorite. Not sure really why - but I suppose I liked all of the upgrades that were made in this generation so I considered it a fun game. It was before they ruined the franchise with Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald by making it slow-paced and boring. I still play through these games (and Red/Blue/Yellow) to this day - so I think it deserves mention on my Top-5.

And so there you have it - my favorite video games ever made, each having a special place in my heart and providing my countless entertainment to this very day.

Honorable mentions: Ace Attorney series,  multiple Mario games, Super Smash Brothers series, Pokemon Red/Blue, Chrono Cross, Threads of Fate, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Wing Commander series, Final Fantasy IV, Star Trek Online, Tibia, Warcraft series (the actual games, not WoW), Diablo series, Madden series.

1 comment: